CONFIRMED: Australia Day celebrations in the Maranoa
Celebrate Australia Day on Tuesday, January 26 with Australia Day Awards and plenty of activities happening around the Maranoa to keep everyone entertained!
Australia Day is a time for all Australians to come together to reflect, respect and celebrate.
Events will be held across the region in Mitchell, Surat, Wallumbilla, Yuleba, Jackson, Roma and Injune.
This year the region will have three Australia Day Ambassadors joining our celebrations!
- Justine Christerson, Founder of Breaking Down the Barriers (a rural patient support program)
- Olivia Hargroder, Actor, community advocate and has addressed the United Nations
- Taj Pabari, is one of Australia’s youngest and most successful social entrepreneurs.
- 11am, Wallumbilla Swimming Pool, come along and enjoy complimentary morning tea. Entry to the pool is free all day.
- 11.30am, Australia Day Awards Ceremony
- 12-2pm, Free Rotary Aussie BBQ
- 1pm, cutting of the Australia Day cake
- Australia Day Ambassador Taj Pabari will be in attendance at Wallumbilla’s Australia Day Awards Ceremony.
Taj is the Chief Executive Officer of the Australian School of Entrepreneurship (ASE) – a social enterprise that helps develop the entrepreneurial skills of school students, young entrepreneurs and anyone aged 5 to 21 years with a passion for innovation.
His work in education and background in youth entrepreneurship have led him to speak
at schools, conferences, festivals and corporate functions around the world.
- 9am, Roma Cultural Centre, Awards Ceremony and Citizenship Ceremony, followed by morning tea and cutting of the Australia Day cake.
- 11.30am-3pm, Denise Spencer Memorial Pool, family fun day at the Roma pool with free entry and BBQ lunch for all. Face painting, jumping castle, giveaways and pool.
- Australia Day Ambassador Olivia Hargroder will be in attendance at Roma’s Australia Day celebrations.
Olivia is an actor and community advocate for change and equality, she is driving the campaign: ‘Change The Box’ to have athletes with Down syndrome included in the Paralympics.
Told she would never speak, she uses the gift she was to be denied, to share her message across Australia and the World.
Surat and surrounds
- 8am, Surat Riverwalk Centeen, complimentary breakfast
- 8.30am, Australia Day Awards Ceremony followed by yabby races, then cutting of the cake.
- 2pm, Surat Swimming pool, free entry to the pool
- 4-5.30pm, Rotary Aussie BBQ
- Australia Day Ambassador Taj Pabari will be in attendance.
Mitchell and surrounds
- 7.30am-9.15am, Great Artesian Spa, complimentary Aussie breakfast (Bookings essential – please contact the Great Artesian Spa on 4624 6923 to book).
- 9.30am, Mitchell Shire Hall, Australia Day Awards Ceremony, followed by morning tea and cutting of the cake.
- From 11am, Great Artesian Spa, free swim all day
- Australia Day Ambassador Justine Christerson will be in attendance at Mitchell’s Australia Day celebrations.
Justine founded ‘Breaking Down the Barriers’ a rural patients support program based in Brisbane to assist rural patients who are travelling to Brisbane for medical reasons.
Justine started the program based on the foundations of being a friend in the city for those who may not have family or friends close by.
Injune and surrounds
- 7.45am, Gunnewin West Rd (approximately 20kms west of Gunnewin, please follow signs) Gravesite Dedication Service, RSL Roma
- 8.30am, Carnarvon Highway, Soldiers Settlement Memorial Dedication Service, Gunnewin Community
- 9.30am, Injune Memorial Hall, Australia Day Awards Ceremony, followed by morning tea and cutting of the Australia Day cake
- From 12pm, Gwydir Laycock Park and Injune Community Centre, Aussie Day BBQ, Emergency Service vehicle display and backyard cricket
- 1pm, Injune Swimming Pool, free entry for all!
Mayor Tyson Golder said Australia Day is a great time to come together as a community and celebrate those who have gone above and beyond in our region.
“There is a lot planned across the Maranoa, with free pool entry, Aussie BBQs, games and so much more,” Cr Golder said.
“I’d like to thank Rotary Australia for providing funding for our Australia Day events this year and congratulate Rotary Australia on celebrating 100 years!”
Residents are asked while attending these events to please observe COVID Safe practices, including social distancing and following good hygiene practices. Please do not attend if you are sick.
Residents attending Australia Day events are asked to please pre-register here:
For more information, please contact your Local Development Officer on 1300 007 662.